FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit to put a shed in my yard?

Yes, sheds are accessory structures and have zoning restrictions that apply to locations and height. They must also be anchored to the ground to prevent wind lift. Shed information can be found here.

I am looking for a reliable contractor, can the Village refer me to a contractor?

No, we can not. But what we can do is provide a list of registered contractors with the Village that may fill your needs for the work you require.

I noticed the wind blew off a section of shingles on my roof, do I need a permit to repair the shingles?

No, minor repairs do not require a permit.

I want to do a re-roof on my house, do I need a permit for that?

Yes, a permit is required for this type of work. Also keep in mind that no more than two roof layers can be applied to your roof. So if the second layer has deteriorated a tear-off is necessary to apply a new layer of shingles.

I want to make my living room bigger by removing a wall, do I need a permit?

This is considered remodeling, you are required to get a permit. Walls may be load bearing and have electric running through it. Removing a load bearing wall can have drastic effects on the stability and safety of the structure. Depending on the size of the wall to be removed, it may also require engineering calculations to determine what can be installed to distribute the loads safely. Electrical terminations will have to be inspected as well.

I want to put up a fence in my yard, do I need a permit?

Yes, fencing is considered an accessory structure and there is also zoning restrictions that apply to fence locations and height.

I want to remodel my house, do I need a permit?

Yes, the building code states you must obtain a permit to do any of the following; erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert or demolish. A permit is required for the  installation of new doors and/or windows. However, the building code does not require a permit to replace floor coverings such as carpet, tile or linoleum.

What is J.U.L.I.E. and how do I contact them?

J.U.L.I.E. (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators) is a non-for-profit corporation that provides homeowners and professional excavators with one place to call for safe digging. Running under the ground there may be several utilities that may serve your home or more. Without knowing where these utilities are, you run the risk of breaking a gas line, waterline, cable, electrical, etc. Before you dig, whether you want to do some landscaping or do repairs to plumbing or for new construction, always call J.U.L.I.E. to locate your services. Simply dial 811 to request a locate.